I Want to Be a Drug and Alcohol Counsellor, Help?

Question by Sheila K: I want to be a drug and alcohol counsellor, help?
I want to be a drug and alcohol counsellor and I have planned for a long time to take a drug and alcohol counsellor course at a college near where I live. It is a 2-year program with an optional transfer program to a university. Unfortunately, instead of the university program being psychology like I planned, its a bachelor of arts in criminal justice. Is there any way to do the drug and alcohol counsellor and a psychology program without having to do the full 4 years of university?

Best answer:

Answer by Mike G
First, learn to spell COUNSELOR.

To be a certified counselor in a school, you’ll need a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree as well.

BTW, it is “It’s” not “its”. “It’s” is a contraction for “It is”. “Its” is a possessive pronoun.

Answer by Jay

The criteria in the 2 year program already covers some psychology, exposure to the therapeutical theories and an understanding of the applicable disorders in the DSM.

You should be able to get your certification after completion of the 2 year program. You should ask about that at school. You can also call local rehab facilities in your area and ask them what is required as far as education, to work there.

You would be wise then to go to work in the field, after you get your cert, and see if you still like it, before going back to school for additional classes.

The fellow above is wrong. A Masters is NOT required. Nor in most cases even a Bachelors.

I had a comprehensive one year program. I was the Director of a residential treatment center when I retired.